What is the Green Card and the Green Card Lottery Program?
The United States of America throughout history has been a country of immigrants. It is a place where people worldwide come to fulfil their dreams and build a better life. Today every fifth American was born outside the US or is a child of immigrants. The United States of America is the only nation that encourages immigration through an annual American government program the Green Card Lottery, making itself the world’s most diverse nation in aspects of culture, beliefs, ethnicity, origins, nationalities, and sexual orientation.
The Green Card, previously known as the resident alien card is a lawful guarantee that the individual is officially permitted to reside and take employment in United States along with other immigration benefits. The Green Card acts as a proof of the holders permanent and legal residency in the country and visually appears as a plastic card that must be carried at all places and every time. The Green Card which comes with an immigration process for becoming a legally permanent resident may be acquired among others through the official USA green card lottery.
A US permanent resident card is a coherent proof of a person’s identity and legal status. The Green Card provides a piece of mind and a sense of belonging as the holder can live and work in the US permanently. Winners of the Green Card Lottery live and work in the USA and enjoy all the legal rights. The Green Card Lottery is a real opportunity for everyone in search of an ultimate sense of freedom, prosperous life and legal rights!
The main methods for obtaining the Green Card:
- Green card through marriage – Marriage to an American citizen.
- Green card through family sponsorship – In order to promote family unity, immigration law allows US citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States.
- Green card through investment – Foreign entrepreneurs may invest in a commercial enterprise in the US and produce or retain at least ten full time jobs for skilled United States employees. Furthermore, the entrepreneur must invest minimum $500,000 in an intended employment area.
- Job sponsorship – In case a foreigner has a permanent employment opportunity in the United States. Most employment requests require a job offer and require that the employer petition for the worker.
- Green card if you are a refuge or asylum – Foreign nationals admitted to the United States as a refugee or a qualifying family member of an asylum can apply for a Green Card.
- Winning the official Green Card Lottery- Green card through the government Green Card program is also named as the Diversity immigrant visa program. Lottery winners are granted the immigrant visa only once they have successfully completed the consular processing.
As mentioned above, there are numerous ways by which permanent residency can be acquired. The fastest and easiest way of them all is by participating in the DV Lottery Program – the official Green Card Lottery of State Department.
History of the official US Green Card Lottery
Green Card Lottery of State Department – The basis of the Green Card Lottery program began after the US Congress enacted the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, which abolished racism from the immigration process. The lottery is administered on an annual basis by the Department of State and conducted under the terms of Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
The Green Card is an entrance ticket to America
In 1990 the US Congress adopted the Immigration Reform Act to further establish the Green Card Lottery government program. One of the congress main interest in reforming the immigration system was to further enhance and promote diversity of immigrants. There were two main goals in reforming the immigration system, first, to increase immigration from Europe especially in the short term, and second to increase immigration from all currently underrepresented countries as a long-term goal.
In the year of 1995, Congress decided that the US Green Card Lottery Program is obliged to cover all world countries except the ones that have much number in the immigrant pool. For more information on the history of the official USA Green Card Lottery read here.
What are the benefits of a Green Card holder?
- Freedom of movement – Once you are a Green Card holder, you can travel outside the U.S. and return freely. You can also travel anywhere you wish and live in any part of the U.S. All states become your nearby sanctuary and you become a Global Citizen! However, keep in mind that even though you might be a US department of state green card lottery winner you might be required to take additional steps to safeguard your permanent residency if you plan on leaving the country for more than six months.
- The possibility of legal employment in any company operating in the United States.
- The right to open your own business (company, corporation or joint-stock company) in America.
- Green Card holders have a right to apply for government-sponsored financial aid for education. US residents pay for tuition at local universities and colleges 75% less than foreign students, generally referred as resident tuition or in-state tuition.
- Once you have had your U.S. Green Card for five years, you are qualified and have the possibility to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. A U.S. citizen is eligible to receive a U.S. passport, which is issued by the State department. For further details on the naturalization process you can visit the Green Card Lottery uscis.gov or contact us here.
- Social benefits for retirement (provided that the resident has worked 10 years in an American company before retirement). Furthermore, individuals granted with permanent residency enjoy Social Security benefits, and may receive social welfare benefits like health insurance.
- US Green card holders are permitted to work in any company located in U.S. territory regardless of job function or hours worked per week. They are enabled to start up their own business or corporation. A registered business gives immense benefit to the owner.
- The right to sponsor family members – By obtaining a U.S. Green Card, you may help a relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Therefore, you can ensure that your family is united and enjoys the same right to live and work in the U.S. as natives do.
Being a Green Card holder does not only grant various benefits but comes with certain obligations and restrictions. With attaining a status, comes the expectation of fulfilling responsibilities and being aware of the possible rights related to it.
The responsibilities that come with obtaining a Green Card include: (a) Paying taxes – As a permanent resident, the guidelines for filing your income, estate, gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same as if you were a U.S. citizen, (b) Selective service – man who reside in the U.S. or received the Green Card at any time between the ages of 18 and 26, are required to sign up for the U.S. Selective Service System, (c) the inability to leave America for more than a year, (d) Green Card holders are to obey all laws. In case a permanent resident is convicted of a crime in the United States, he could be exiled from the country, refused to re-enter, lose his permanent resident status, and, in some cases even lose entitlement for U.S. citizenship.
Who can participate in the US Green Card program of the State Department?
The Green Card Lottery is real even though it may seem too good to be true. However, keep in mind that only individuals who meet the DV program eligibility requirements (listed below), may submit their application in the process.
- Native individuals who were born in countries that were assigned by the Department of State as eligible countries to participate. For the full list of countries click here.
- Every DV applicant must hold at least a high school diploma or its equivalent or have two years of work experience within the past five years in a profession requiring at least two years of training or experience.
There are no limiting conditions to the age or social status of the applicant, just as long as the applicant is old enough to meet the education or work experience standards of the Green Card Lottery of State Department.
What is the difference between a Green Card holder under government program and a US citizen?
- A US Green Card holder cannot vote nor be elected for presidency while a US citizen may vote.
- A US citizen can leave and reenter the US at any time without being subject to the grounds of inadmissibility or a reentry permit.
- A US citizen may file a sponsorship request for his immediate relatives to immigrate. Spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents will be considered immediate relatives, and entitled to immigrate.
- US citizens may not be exiled from the United States unless they commit fraud in order to gain their green card or citizenship.
What can lead to the loss of a Green Card?
As mentioned above, in any case that you plan on being outside of the U.S. for more than one year, it is extremely suggested to file for a Re-Entry Permit. Furthermore, Green Card holders are to obey all laws. In case you are a permanent resident and get involved in or get convicted of a crime in the United States you could lose your permanent resident status.
Do I need to be fluent in English in order to win the USA Government Green Card Lottery?
Absolute knowledge of English is not mandatory in order to obtain a Green Card. However, keep in mind that English is the official and national language of US, and therefore it is preferable that you have a strong grip on the English language which will benefit you in ways of communication with others, with job opportunities and with adapting to a new territory.
How to participate and win the Green Card Lottery?
The official US Green Card Lottery program produces 55,000 winners every year through a process of selection from entries of individuals belonging from different countries. Of the 55,000 visas, 5,000 have to be used for applicants under the Nicaraguan and Central America Relief Act (NACARA) of 1997.
Although, only 50,000 immigrant visas are obtainable per year, there are over 110,000 selected winners in the the official Green Card Lottery. The main reason for the larger selection is due to the fact that some of the winning applicants many not continue the process or either will not meet the relevant immigration requirements.
Apply with USACITO and maximize your chances of receiving the Green Card!
USACITO can maximize your opportunities to win the Green Card lottery. USACITO has been assisting thousands of families to immigrate to America since 2009. We are aware of all the strict rules, regulations and requirements involved.
We will submit your application through the official Green Card state department’s website, without a single mistake or error and guarantee that your application will participate in the Green Card lottery. Once you win we will prepare you towards the consular process, the interview at the embassy and assist you to gather all the necessary documents. We provide multilingual support to customers and accept applications year-round.
Interested to know more about the official website for the Green Card Lottery? Once USACITO will submit your application you will receive an official confirmation number to check your winning status through the official government Green Card Lottery site. Be aware of fraud! Multiple commercial websites claim to be associated with the official USA Green Card Lottery website.
Want to move to America and get a US citizenship? Complete the Green card lottery application with USACITO. Give yourself the chance and REGISTER TODAY!